Seeing a Registered Care Advisors

A Registered Care Advisor (“RCA”) is a new term introduced under ICBC’s No-fault Scheme

The doctor needs to make a declaration to the College of Physicians and Surgeons on his/her qualifications and register with ICBC before the doctor can receive referrals for the purpose of assessing injured claimants. The registry of RCAs is maintained by ICBC and the list of registered doctors will be available to the public.

The fee schedule for assessments is well below industry standards and represents a fraction of what most doctors currently charge for independent medical assessments under the current system. It remains to be seen if ICBC gets much interest from doctors to participate as an RCA.

A family doctor who is treating you for what is potentially a “minor injury” in an accident after April 1, 2019 must, no later than 90 days after the accident, consider referring you to an RCA if your doctor:

  1. Is unable to make a clear diagnosis;
  2. The patient is not recovering as expected; or
  3. There are factors complicating

This new legislation provides a family doctor unwilling to be drawn into the onerous ICBC reporting requirements to wash his/her hands of the ICBC reporting by referring you to an RCA.

Even after going for the assessment, you may have to go back to the same RCA or a different one if the factors leading to the referral remain in place within the first 9 months following the accident and your family doctor can still not provide an opinion to ICBC. In other words, the injured victim is now facing the prospect of multiple assessments in the first year after the accident under the ICBC No-fault Scheme. The intention of this legislative change is no doubt to give ICBC more access to information on the injury progression. In turn, ICBC can use the information to categorize the claim as a “minor injury”.

Hopefully, Plaintiff friendly doctors volunteer for this program so you can encourage your family doctor to use one more likely to keep your claim outside the “minor injury” category. You definitely don’t want to go to an ICBC friendly RCA.

The evidence to focus on when speaking to the RCA is how the injuries are affecting your schooling, work and/or activities of daily living. The reason being, unless your injuries are in the class of claims that is not a “minor injury”, your only hope to avoid a cap of your pain and suffering at $5,500 is to show “serious impairment”.